FS #170: Talk To Me / Hairspray / Top 5 Movies of the Year (So Far)
Friday, 27 July 2007 01:00

July 27 (Chicago Public Radio Edition): Once you've seen Kasi Lemmons's new film "Talk To Me," you'll understand why it's nearly impossible to sound articulate talking about it. As played by Don Cheadle, the film's subject, the late, great Washington, D.C.-based DJ Ralph Waldo "Petey" Greene makes everyone on the radio sound bad. Cheadle and co-star Chiwetel Ejiofor turn in inspired performances as Greene and producer/mentor Dewey Hughes, but is the movie worthy of their efforts?

Adam couldn't have been less interested in seeing the new adaptation of the Broadway musical adaptation of John Waters's 1988 film "Hairspray" ... that is, until the film opened to enthusiastic reviews and it was too late for Sam to get to a screening. Adam spends a couple of minutes sharing his thoughts.

Also on the show: Afraid of arriving at some dull consensus on their Top 5 Movies of 2007 (So Far), Adam and Sam invite two of their favorite movie critics to join them: Scott Tobias from The Onion A/V Club and Michael Phillips from the Chicago Tribune. As it turns out, only one film appeared on all four lists.

Music by Nora O'Connor courtesy of Bloodshot Records.

Filmspotting is presented by Spout, a gathering place for people who love movies. Sign up for free and discuss this episode!

And by Toyota... Calling all aspiring deejays and sneaker-heads! Think you’ve got skills? Then check out yarisversusyaris.com for the Yaris vs. Yaris Live Event Series.

Listen  to Filmspotting #170

Filmspotting #170
:31-8:17 - Review: "Talk To Me"
8:18-12:18 - Review: "Hairspray"
Music: Nora O'Connor, "Two Way Action"
12:39-16:04 - Massacre Theatre (Winner: Ken Stachnik)
16:05-18:50 - Poll Questions
18:51-26:35 - Listener Feedback (Best Performances So Far)
Music: Nora O'Connor, "My Backyard"
27:06-32:28 - New DVDs, Podcast Awards, Donations
32:29-45:39 - Top 5: Movies of the Year (So Far)
Music: Nora O'Connor, "That's Alright"
46:17-1:04:50 - Top 5: Movies of the Year cont.
1:04:51-1:07:04 - Close/Next Show/Outtake

CORRECTIONS/NOTES
- Vote daily for Filmspotting in Movies/Films and Best Produced between July 28 and August 11 at podcastawards.com.

- Congrats to all three Filmspotting Photography Competition winners. 1st Prize was an engraved iPod Nano; 2nd and 3rd place winners received a $25 Amazon gift certificate.

Have a comment or Top 5 list you'd like to share? Send an e-mail or short mp3 clip to This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Or give us a call at 206-203-CINE and leave a voice message.
blog comments powered by Disqus

Listen To Filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting

Grab Filmspotting from iTunes